What is a Doula?
According to the DONA International website:
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
My Service Package
- I provide a free consultation with new parents. You should be comfortable with your doula because you will be sharing an intimate part of your life with her.
- As a birth doula I provide 2 prenatal appointments. At these appointments we can cover topics such as your birth plan, pain management, labor positions, what to do in
early labor, and when it is time to go to the hospital. We can also discuss nutrition, childcare, how to hire a pediatrician, or any other topics that you have questions about.
- I provide you with an “on call” period 3 weeks prior to your due date and 2 weeks after. In this window I will remain close by and provide you with a way to get in touch with me quickly when you go into labor. I am of course available outside of this window for questions, but this is the time that you are most likely to need me. You will also have the name and number of my backups in the case that you cannot reach me. In the event that I have to leave town, you will know in advance which number to call.
- I provide continuous support during your labor. I will help with relaxation, provide emotional support, and advocate for you. I will also aim to bring in anyone that you want to have as part of experience, whether this is the father, your mother, a good friend, or anyone else. I can show them some massage techniques, give them encouragement, or make sure that they eat while you are in labor.
- Immediately after the birth I can stay with you for the first 1-2 hours. My goal in this time is help the new family in anyway you need. I can help you to start breastfeeding and discuss your plans for recovery.
- I also provide 1 postpartum appointment. This visit can be done at your convenience in the weeks following your birth. At postpartum
visits we can talk about breastfeeding, sleeping, childcare, and your birth experience.
- More postpartum hours can be added for an additional fee.
- Please contact me for the package price.